History of Colac Bowling Club

/History of Colac Bowling Club
History of Colac Bowling Club 2018-05-07T16:34:10+10:00

Founded in 1897, Colac Bowling Club is the oldest bowling club in Colac. The club facilities were originally established in what was then known as Market Square.

Colac Bowling Club Construction

In 1921 the club re-located to a new site in Manifold Street and remained there until 1964 when another move was made to the clubs current location, then known as Western Bay.

Since 1964 a number of improvements have been made to this site, which include the extension of the original building in 1969, to incorporate a new club lounge and bar.

In 1979, associates were admitted to the Club.

Bingo was introduced in 1980 and continues to run every Friday night.

In 1988, a 3rd green was constructed on the North West corner of the site.

Colac Bowling Club Green Construction

Major extensions were made to the kitchen and dining room in 1992 and in 2004, the members lounge was extensively extended to the West enabling viewing in comfort of play on all 3 greens from the within the club house.

In 2007 the ladies locker room was enlarged by extending it towards the front of the club house.

In 2011 the first of the “Tiger Turf” carpet greens was installed on Green 3 with a second “Tiger Turf” carpet on Green 2 being installed in mid-2013.

The most recent development at the club was in 2017 with a major internal refurbishment including new bars and offices and upgraded function spaces.